The Grad Program provides
me with the opportunity
to make an impact on
the strategic direction
of the organisation.”
Finance & Accounting
READ MORE >>
24 months; 4 x 6 month rotations
Make it count
Finance is pivotal to the success of the Westpac Group and we view our Finance Graduates as our future leaders. The team provides quality insights and advice to support strategic decision making by our business leaders. You will help us to provide a control framework by protecting, preserving and accurately monitoring the assets of the Group.
In Finance, our mission is to manage company performance in partnership with the business and we define our role by protecting value and help our businesses prosper and grow. Finance supports the Westpac Group vision by delivering agile, accurate and efficient reporting, attracting, retaining and developing great financial professionals and future leaders. And bringing world-class expertise to the entire business.
Why join us?
You’re not just a number at Westpac Group Finance. As well as on the job training, you will also receive specific technical training to support your career in Financial Services.
Our placement areas span across the Westpac Group and include rotations in BT (our wealth management division), WIB (our investment bank) and Group Finance (who bring all the consolidated results together for our ASX and statutory reporting) amongst others.
We believe our graduates are our future and we are proud of graduate success stories such as;
- Finance Professional Award 2015 Employee of the year was awarded to Michael Boscoscuro, a 2013 Finance Graduate.
- Former Finance Graduate Marc Harris has been appointed Director, Group Financial Performance.
Your graduate journey
You’ll have the opportunity to rotate through different teams to build your experience and grow your network. In the past graduates have been lucky enough to work in teams that provide opportunities such as:
- Producing and analysing pricing models to ensure commercial benefits of strategic pricing changes to Consumer Bank products are justified
- Participate in workshops with major banks, APRA, the RBA and ABS
- Gain an understanding of the relationship between product pricing and cost of funds (Margin analysis & Transfer pricing)
- Gain commercial acumen to the rationale / business case approach of where our effort (and in turn the businesses’ effort) should be directed for the most effective outcomes
- Participation in the control environment supporting the Financial Markets business including the integrity of the balance sheet and profit and loss through P&L preparation and reconciliation
- Exposure to various tax types, i.e. income tax, GST, withholding tax, FBT and payroll tax. This will be helpful in future roles as tax impacts most other finance teams.
- Close interaction and engagement with all 3 lines of defence;
- 1st Line; All control owners, standards/return and process owners
- 2nd Line; Other 2nd line assurance professionals
- 3rd Line; Group Assurance – the bank’s independent internal audit function
See your career take shape
During your time on the Finance graduate program not only will you have the opportunity to work across the Group, we will pay for you to undertake your CA or CPA qualification. Here are just a few of the key skills you will learn as a Finance Graduate:
- Analytical and problem solving skills
- Technical finance and accounting skills
- Presentation, influencing and personal branding soft skills
- Understanding of finance systems and software
- Understanding of the regulatory environment of financial services
- Networking and building effective relationships
Meet Sally, 2016 Graduate
Finance & Accounting
Why did you choose a graduate program at Westpac Group?
The Program provides its graduates with significant responsibilities so you know that you are always making valuable contributions to the organisation. The Westpac Group offers plenty of support to its graduates and you will find that people are always willing to help and answer any questions you may have.
Why would you recommend this graduate program?
The program provides a great opportunity to gain exposure to a number of different business units in the Westpac Group. The different rotations will help you build your technical finance and accounting skills as well as your abilities to network and build effective relationships.
What rotations have you experienced?
The finance and accounting graduate program consists of four rotations, working across different finance teams in the Westpac Group. Each rotation is 6 months in duration.
In my first rotation, I was placed in the Performance and Forecasting team for the Superannuation business in the BT Financial Group. I was responsible for conducting monthly analysis of the business’s financial performance and delivering reports to important stakeholders. I was also involved in building revenue and expense forecasts and project work.
In my second rotation, I was placed in the Statutory Reporting team in Group Finance. In this role, I was involved in the delivery of the FY16 annual financial report.
How have you developed across your graduate year?
As a finance graduate, you will gain exposure to a number of different teams as you go through the four rotations. During these rotations, you will continue to build on your technical and interpersonal skills. You will develop knowledge on how the bank works, which will help you decide on what role you want at the end of the program. In the first week of the graduate program, you will find that there is a very steep learning curve and you will be asking a lot of questions. However over time, you will build your finance and accounting knowledge and people will be seeking your expertise.